Elder Mediation helps families with elder care planning and decision-making, by facilitating family meetings and helping to improve communication.
The challenge of elder care can trigger painful family conflicts, resulting in broken sibling relationships, chaotic decision-making, and unsatisfactory outcomes for the elder.
Mediation provides a clear structure for making important decisions, and helps families learn to navigate their changing roles by working together and listening to one another with compassion.
Elder Mediation involves the Elder, and helps families to clarify their responsibilities as they face issues such as:
- If and when to sell the family home
- How to determine when it is time to stop driving
- How to handle finances and get the bills paid
- How to avoid caregiver burnout
- How to make medical and end of life decisions
- How to make respectful, responsible plans for the Future
Through respectful communication and thoughtful exploration of options, the elder ages with dignity, and the supportive family members learn to access available resources and keep family relationships intact.